Lai Shugao is denoted as tall and thin with short black hair and gentle brown eyes. He is always wearing his lanyard with him along with a black necktie to his white long coat that covers his long, skinny black jeans.
Shugao's personality is always a mystery to some people. He can be very good at communication, but he has a different way of speaking to people in a given time. If he ever needs to use his voice to speak, he will be very direct and straightforward.
He can be quite considerate and calm, rarely taking any words to mind. He states that he is unable to fully express extremely strong negative emotions. On the surface, no one is able to see his sorrow for his older sister's death years ago. In general, he is thought as an emotionless person, always saying no and rejecting whenever possible. However, he is very respectful of his upperclassmen.
A few years prior to the series, Shugao's sister Lai Hanqing passed away due to a car accident.
- Lai Hanqing
- Main article: Lai Hanqing
- Shugao and his older sister were very close.
- Lu Xingguang
- Main article: Lu Xingguang
- Shugao met Lu Xingguang when he attended a professional law school before entering the police force. Lu Xingguang was his teacher and later commander, and Shugao has high respects for him.
- Jiang Dongsheng
- Main article: Jiang Dongsheng
- The only best friend of Lai Shugao.
- Xiang Wenzhou
- Main article: Xiang Wenzhou
- There has long been an antagonistic conflict between the two. He seems to have feelings for her though he denies it.
- He is never seen without his lanyard.
- He knows how to play the piano.
- He said that if Xiang Wenzhou was to stay over, he would cook for her since he knows that she cannot cook.